If you are thinking about getting a zero turn lawn mower but you don’t know which one to get, there are a few things to consider that may help in making your decision. First, you need to determine how much ground you’ll be covering so that you know how big of a lawn mower to get.
Deck size is certainly the first thing you’ll want to decide on but another thing many people want to know before purchasing a zero-turn lawn mower is how much it weighs. After all, you’re going to have to handle it on your own. If you’re going to be moving you’re ZTR on a trailer, it’s good to know how much it weighs.
A zero turn lawn mower will typically weigh around 700 lbs. Most zero turn mowers will weigh between 400 lbs and 2000 lbs. Some heavy-duty zero turn lawn mowers designed for commercial purposes have much larger cutting decks. These mowers can weigh upwards of 1500 lbs.
Zero-Turn Mower – Examples of Weight
There are several different types of zero turn lawn mowers to choose from, so knowing what to look for will help make shopping for one that much easier.
Below are some examples of different types of zero turn lawn mowers and how much they weigh:
- The Cub Cadet Ultima ZT1 50 in. Fabricated Deck 23HP V-Twin Kawasaki FR Series Engine Dual Hydro Drive Gas Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower has a twin cylinder OHV engine and weighs 570 lbs.
- The John Deere Z345M 42 in. 22 HP Gas Dual Hydrostatic Zero-Turn Riding Mower has mowing speeds of up to 7 mph and weighs 496 lbs.
- The Toro 50 in. 23 HP TimeCutter IronForged Deck Kawasaki V-Twin Gas Dual Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower has a 50 in. deck and IronForged cutting system. It weighs in at 621 lbs.
- The Cub Cadet Ultima ZT1 42 in. 56-Volt MAX 60 Ah Battery Lithium-Ion Electric Drive Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower is battery operated and weighs a whopping 664 lbs.
- The Ryobi 54 in. 115 Ah Battery Electric Riding Zero Turn Mower is also battery powered but is pretty low maintenance compared to others. It weighs 796 lbs.
- The John Deere Z355R 48 in. 22 HP Gas Dual Hydrostatic Zero-Turn Riding Mower has a 22 HP V-twin John Deere branded engine for powerful performance and weighs 507 lbs.
- The Toro 54 in. TimeCutter IronForged Deck 24.5 HP Commercial V-Twin Gas Dual Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower with MyRIDE weighs 672 lbs.
- The Dewalt Z260 Commercial 60 in. 24 HP Kawasaki V-Twin FS730v Series Engine Dual Hydrostatic Gas Zero Turn Lawn Mower has a Dual Commercial Grade ZT-3400 trans with up to 500 ft/lbs. torque and weighs an impressive 1130 lbs.
- The Beast 48 in. 20 HP Gas Powered by Briggs and Stratton Pro Engine Zero Turn Riding Mower with Rollbar weighs 850 lbs.
- The Beast 62 in. 25 HP Gas Powered by Briggs and Stratton Pro Engine Zero-Turn Commercial Mower with Free Rollbar and Headlight weighs 1100 lbs.
ZTR Weight Compared With Other Mower Types
How does the weight of a ZTR compare to other mower types?
A cylinder lawn mower is perhaps the most simple type of lawn mower you can get. It consists of cylindrical blades that rotate vertically at the front of the mower. These tend to weigh around 100 or more pounds and are best for flat lawns that you want to keep short and well manicured.
Rotary lawn mowers cut grass using a single blade that rotates horizontally underneath the mower. These are on the lighter side and weigh around 50lbs. A smaller rotary lawn mower can weigh about 30 lbs. A hover lawn mower is great for people looking for something light. They weigh around 30 lbs. and hover above the ground, thus making them much easier to use to mow uneven surfaces that other lawn mowers may not be able to reach.
Electric lawn mowers are powered by mains electricity and are ideal for small or medium-sized yards. One of these will weigh around 90 to 100 lbs. You can also purchase cordless and gas lawn mowers, which are more convenient as you do not have to worry about a cord. These, however, can be more expensive and are heavier, weighing over 100 lbs. When drained of gas, a gas lawn mower can be significantly less heavy.
A riding lawn mower or a zero turn lawn mower, on the other hand, weigh in at about 650 lbs. Bigger ones can come in at around 900 lbs, while the heavy-duty zero turn lawn mowers can go up to a whopping 1450 lbs. Some can even go up to 2000 lbs. Zero turn lawn mowers are considered to be on the lighter side of things and are preferred because of their turning radius of zero inches.